Skip to main content

Converting Docx to Google Docs By: Daniel Knox

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend starting to move your documents to Google Drive.  Cloud storage can allow you ultimate flexibility with your files.  You can access them from any device connected to the internet and edit and upload on the go. It also offers amazing collaboration not available with MS Office products on your MacBook.  

You can sign in to Google via Chrome and immediately start dragging and dropping folders inside your Google Drive.  Drive will save all files in their current format. If you want to go ahead and convert Office files (Word, Powerpoint, Excel) to Google apps (Docs, Slides, Sheets), a simple fix can save lots of time trying to convert individually later.  

See the next three pictures that describe what to do.  There is a setting inside Drive you can toggle to allow Drive to automatically convert these files when you upload the documents.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preventing Cheating on Schoology: By Amanda Cross

Hello Friends!  So I am going to spend the next few Tuesday's showing you ways to control cheating on Schoology.  It is not a fix all and won't prevent it but it sure does slow it down and make it more difficult to cheat. The first thing I always do when administering a test or quiz on Schoology is check my settings!  The picture below shows several settings that I use to help with cheating. Randomize Order:  I always randomize the questions as much as possible.  So that no one person is on the same question at the same time.  I also tell students this so that maybe they will think " I can't look at my neighbor because they will have a different question." Resumable:  I always set resumable to NO on a test or quiz because if they go out of schoology it will not let them back into that test and they will have to come see me to be let back in.  Then I can ask them why they got out of the test/quiz.  Now with this setting you will have...

Emoji's (and other special characters) in Google Docs By: Daniel Knox

Sometimes our students communicate in emoji's. You might want to insert some into a document, so here is a quick tutorial on emoji's.  Insert >> Special Characters opens up tons of options including emojis but also many other symbols.  You can search for a symbol or emoji by simply searching for a word or by literally drawing what you want (see GIF).  Let me know if you need help with anything or if you are wondering how to accomplish something in your class using Google tools. Have a great week.

Using Screen Shots with Schoology By: Amanda Cross

So last week Daniel showed you how to screen shot from your computer.  So how can you use it in Schoology?   If there is a photo, chart, graph, equation, or maybe a paragraph/story you don't want to retype.  You can screenshot it and use those items in a test, quiz, assignment, or even an announcement.  In Schoology when you create a test, quiz, assignment, or announcement  there is an option to insert a picture:  At the top in the toolbar click on the Insert Content button:  Then click on image/media to insert a photo. ​ Then click on attach file and upload your image.   Sometimes the image comes through really large but you can always click on the image and slide it in to make it smaller or larger depending on what you need.   I use this feature all the time in creating a test/quiz for math or science.  I find the question I would like to use and then just screenshot and insert it in.  ...