Skip to main content

Screen Grabs

Screen Grabs!
Daniel Knox

Today's tip is a special request.  It's something I use all the time and I'm sure a lot of you do, too.  If you want to take a screen shot on your MacBook, there are multiple ways to do it.  You can access Grab inside your utilities folder (or just search for Grab inside the finder).  It offers a few options of things you can do.  

But a couple simple shortcuts are built in to access the two main options.  

1) Screenshot - If you want to capture exactly what your screen shows at that instant, hold down Command, Shift, and 3 (at the same time.  If your sound is on you will hear a camera shutter and a picture of your screen will save to the desktop automatically.  


2) Selected Screenshot (Snip) - If you only want to take a picture of a portion of the screen, hold down Command, Shift, and 4 at the same time.  Your cursor will turn into a cross and you can click and drag the area you want to snip.  It will take a picture and automatically save it to the desktop.  This can be super useful for quickly cropping an online image, or document, or anything you need that you want to reuse in another application. 

From the desktop, screenshots or snips can now be dragged into any document you are working on or into an email and a variety of other programs.  

Let me know know if you have any other questions.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preventing Cheating on Schoology: By Amanda Cross

Hello Friends!  So I am going to spend the next few Tuesday's showing you ways to control cheating on Schoology.  It is not a fix all and won't prevent it but it sure does slow it down and make it more difficult to cheat. The first thing I always do when administering a test or quiz on Schoology is check my settings!  The picture below shows several settings that I use to help with cheating. Randomize Order:  I always randomize the questions as much as possible.  So that no one person is on the same question at the same time.  I also tell students this so that maybe they will think " I can't look at my neighbor because they will have a different question." Resumable:  I always set resumable to NO on a test or quiz because if they go out of schoology it will not let them back into that test and they will have to come see me to be let back in.  Then I can ask them why they got out of the test/quiz.  Now with this setting you will have...

Emoji's (and other special characters) in Google Docs By: Daniel Knox

Sometimes our students communicate in emoji's. You might want to insert some into a document, so here is a quick tutorial on emoji's.  Insert >> Special Characters opens up tons of options including emojis but also many other symbols.  You can search for a symbol or emoji by simply searching for a word or by literally drawing what you want (see GIF).  Let me know if you need help with anything or if you are wondering how to accomplish something in your class using Google tools. Have a great week.

Using Screen Shots with Schoology By: Amanda Cross

So last week Daniel showed you how to screen shot from your computer.  So how can you use it in Schoology?   If there is a photo, chart, graph, equation, or maybe a paragraph/story you don't want to retype.  You can screenshot it and use those items in a test, quiz, assignment, or even an announcement.  In Schoology when you create a test, quiz, assignment, or announcement  there is an option to insert a picture:  At the top in the toolbar click on the Insert Content button:  Then click on image/media to insert a photo. ​ Then click on attach file and upload your image.   Sometimes the image comes through really large but you can always click on the image and slide it in to make it smaller or larger depending on what you need.   I use this feature all the time in creating a test/quiz for math or science.  I find the question I would like to use and then just screenshot and insert it in.  ...